What is Micellar Water?
By Pause Well-Aging | May 25, 2021
As if night sweats and weight gain weren't enough, menopause brings the added bonus of reliving our hormonally-charged teenage years. (And we don't mean the boundless energy or perfect hair.)
Frustrating breakouts and dry skin can sneak their way in during menopause, leaving us groaning at the idea of reverting back to acne creams and harsh cleaning wipes. There has to be a better way to get rid of it, right?
Absolutely — and the answer is better cleansing with micellar water. It's a gentle, hydrating way to remove dirt and oil without stripping away your skin's natural moisture.
So, how does micellar cleansing water work, exactly? Here is a look at what it is, how it's used, and why it's the facial cleanser you didn't know you needed:
How Does Micellar Water Work?
Micellar water is comprised of water (of course) and micelles (hence the name), which are tiny clusters of surfactant molecules that help remove dirt and oil from the skin.
So, how is washing your face with micellar water any different from tap water? Well, water and oil repel each other. Oil sits in a defiant layer on top of your skin, unable to be broken down and removed by tap water alone— and this is where micelles come in. Just like a magnet, micelles draw out oil, makeup, and impurities from the skin. The best way to apply it is with a cotton ball or pad, and because micellar water works like a vacuum, there's no need to rinse! (Of course, you can if you want.)
The Benefits of Micellar Water
Besides the obvious benefit of oil and dirt removal, micellar water can also help in a few other ways:
- Gently removes makeup
- Helps to clear your pores
- Acts as a toner without the use of alcohol
- Hydrates without leaving harsh chemicals, so no rinsing is needed
The biggest benefit of micellar water is that it replaces the need for multiple products. It acts as an all-in-one solution: cleanser, toner, and makeup remover. The best part? It does all of this (and more) without stripping your skin of the natural oils and hydration it needs. (Which often occurs with other harsh cleansers.)
Is Micellar Water Good for Aging Skin?
As we approach menopause, aging skin can experience excessive dryness and breakouts. Micellar water is a gentle cleanser that hydrates and tones without stripping away your skin’s natural moisture. For the best results on aging skin, use a micellar water uniquely formulated for this stage in life.
Knowing the tremendous benefits of micellar water, we created a micellar cleansing treatment to address the breakouts and dry skin that come with menopause. Made specifically for aging skin, our 4-in-1 Micellar Cleansing Treatment helps support collagen production & may enhance brightness, improve ﬁrmness & diminish the appearance of ﬁne lines & wrinkles.
When to Use Micellar Water
Because micellar water replaces the need for multiple products, it’s great for when you’re on the go. With just one bottle, you can bring cleanser, toner, and makeup remover with you. Here’s some of the ways we like to keep it handy:
- Bring it on vacation - as an all-in-one solution, it’s practically made for a weekend getaway. When you’re on the go, it’s great to simplify your skincare routine; but don’t skip it altogether. Make it easy for yourself with one simple step.
- Stash it in your gym bag - it’s great when you’re on the run, but it’s even better after a run or workout. Fend off breakouts by applying micellar water after a workout for a better cleanse than you’ll get with a makeup wipe, but without the fuss of scrubbing your face.
- Keep it in your purse or car for on-the-go use - when life throws you bumps in the road, be ready to react with a do-it-all cleansing treatment, handy at all times.
- On your bedside table - At the end of a long day (or even a late night), it’s easy to be lazy about washing your face. Keep it simple so you have no excuse not to do right by your skin.
Pause Well Aging's Micellar Cleansing Treatment
Our micellar water harnesses the impurity-removing power of micellar molecules while cleansing, toning, hydrating, and removing stubborn makeup. As an added benefit, it contains The Pause Complex, a carefully researched fusion of vitamins, antioxidants and peptides that helps the body fuel collagen production. Read more about The Pause Complex, and why our 4-in-1 Micellar Cleansing Treatment is a gentle yet powerful solution for your skin.