Holiday Hot Flashes: How to Manage Menopause During the Festive Season
By Pause Well-Aging | December 7, 2020
From buying gifts to planning get-togethers, stress levels are already at an all-time high during the holidays. If you’re also managing menopause on top of the hustle and bustle, this season may not feel quite as wonderful as usual. Luckily, a few tools and strategies can help you better handle this balancing act and master holiday stress breakouts once and for all.
Hormonal changes and holiday stress
While menopause is officially defined as one year with no period, the term frequently refers to the changes that women go through before, during, and after this occurs. Fluctuating hormone levels can cause many uncomfortable symptoms, and hot flashes are a big one.
Often accompanied by night sweats, hot flashes can disrupt your sleep and aggravate additional memory and mood changes brought on by menopause including irritability, fatigue, brain fog, and anxiety.
Holiday stress breakouts can magnify this emotional rollercoaster, but a little preparation can make all the difference.
Handling menopause-related stress during the holidays
While you may not be able to completely avoid hot flashes during holidays, you can make them much more manageable.
When choosing your holiday ensemble, go for breathable fabrics and easily removable layers. To stay prepared for a sudden hot flash, keep a glass of water or juice nearby at all times. Avoid reaching for caffeine or alcohol, as these beverages can further trigger hot flashes.
For another way to recuperate from hot flashes during holidays, keep our Hot Flash Cooling Mist within reach. This mist provides an instant cooling and calming effect while reducing redness and sweat. Plus, you don’t have to worry about it ruining your makeup or staining your outfit.
Tips for managing holiday stress
The holidays can throw your daily lifestyle for a loop, making it even more important to keep your healthy habits in check. Follow these tips to minimize the effects of menopause holiday stress.1. Make sleep a priority
Menopause messes with your sleep, and the overwhelming nature of the holidays will only add to your shut-eye struggles. Along with increasing stress levels, sleep deprivation can lead you to lean on sugary foods the next day. Prioritizing sleep will help you make healthier choices and feel fully energized for the festivities.2. Stick to a balanced diet
Seasonal celebrations are filled with heavy meals and desserts, but hormonal changes can make it challenging to keep off the holiday weight. To avoid overindulging, try following the 80-20 rule—eat healthy 80% of the time and treat yourself the other 20%.3. Take a breather
Instead of pushing through the holiday pressure, try a quick stress relief technique such as mindful breathing, yoga, or meditation. Also, don’t be afraid to take a longer time-out with an uninterrupted bubble bath or professional massage—it is the holidays, after all.4. Stay mindful
When menopause-related holiday stress gets the best of you, pause and refocus your energy on the present moment. At the end of the day, the greatest form of stress relief is reminding yourself what the holidays are really about: relaxing and spending time with the people you love.
With these tips on your side, we hope you’re able to enjoy a more stress-less holiday season while managing any menopause-related symptoms you may face. Happy holidays from the team at Pause Well-Aging!
- Pause Well-Aging
- Full Collection
- Fascia Stimulating Tool
- Hot Flash Cooling Mist
- Collagen Boosting Moisturizer
- Understanding the Fascia Stimulating Tool
- What Is Menopause?
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Menopause
- Silver-Streaking: How to Go Gray Gorgeously
- "Functional Fitness After 50"